Donation FAQ

Why do I need a will?

Even if you do not plan to make a charitable bequest, you still need a will. Without a will, your estate will be settled according to state law regardless of your intentions. There is no provision in state law to provide for the charities that an individual has supported throughout his or her lifetime.

How do I leave a gift for an organization that I want to support?

The most common form of planned giving is through a bequest. You may leave a specific amount or a percentage of assets in your estate to your favorite charity. Be sure to discuss your intentions with your professional advisor so that you can maximize the tax advantages of your gift.

Why should I include a provision for charity in my estate plan?

If you have supported a particular charity or charities throughout your lifetime, you may wish to continue that support in perpetuity. By naming a building, a program, or a chair at Henderson Mental Health Center, you can create a lasting legacy and continue to support the caused that are important to you for years to come.

How can planned giving impact my estate?

As an example, a properly planned charitable lead trust can virtually eliminate all estate taxes. Your professional advisor will be able to advise you on the most advantageous planned giving options for your situation.

Do I need to inform the charity that I have left a planned gift?

That decision is up to you. Nonprofit organizations like to know this information in advance so that they may recognize your generosity. Henderson Behavioral Health honors those who realize the importance of permanent community endowment through a variety of naming opportunities. Your generous and thoughtful planning for the future of our community can be recognized during your lifetime.

To learn more about us, contact Suzanne Higgins, Director of Development at 954-777-1624 or

NOTE: Henderson Behavioral Health is not engaged in rendering legal or tax advisory services. For advice or assistance on your specific case, the service of an attorney or other estate planning professional should be obtained.